Sunday, March 30, 2008

120th Anniversary for Gladney

My family and I arrived home last night about 12:30. But I have to say we had such a great time in Fort Worth. We went to 2 of the 4 activities Gladney was doing for the weekend. Friday evening we went to Billy Bob's Honky Tonk. It was fun! The only bad thing was, the boys were cooped up for about 6 hours in the car and just as we pulled into the hotel we went up to change and left right away. So we have a 2 year old and a 4 year old just wanting and NEEDING to run off energy.
And I was so excited to find Mary. I asked one of the ladies when we were signing in if she had arrived yet, but they said she'd be coming soon. We ended up meeting her in the food line and she got her hug as I promised her the day before! I cannot say anything but fantastic things about this lady! Her and I clicked so awesomely (is that a word?) I almost felt like she was a long lost best friend!! So completely fantastic! We talked for quite a while that night, and to all of us Ethiopia families that were there. She pointed out some of them as we went thru the food line.
I was able to also meet Belay that night. Very nice man and comforting to know he's kind of in charge when we travel. I also met and talked to Abby some that night. We talked about some of my wondering questions for travel, so it was nice to be put at ease for some of the "worries" I had when we are there. And she also let me know that our baby girl is one of the favorites to the in-country couple's daughter over there. She has spent so much time with her over there, I kinda feel guilty when we'll be bringing her home! :)

Then Saturday we went to Gladney. BEAUTIFUL place!! They had lots of activites going on...Ethiopian dancers, Chinese dragon, TCU drum band, LOTS of blow up things for the kids to jump in/on. Couldn't pass up the free popcorn and cotton candy. Don't find free cotton candy in our neck of the woods! :) It was just a fantastic day! We also met the couple that took the care bear over to Addison, the Lydick's. Very nice couple/family. It was so nice to be able to thank them in person for everything they did for us when they traveled. Their family is so beautiful and their little Neveah....WOW!! She was giggly with Caleb's balloon and so adorable. There is no other perfect word than she was just a doll!! It made me so much more excited to know in just 2 short weeks we'd have our Addison to hold and snuggle with also!
I also introduced myself to Eric and Tara--there were some bloggers you see that you think you've seen them before. I also saw the Bottomly's but wasn't able to chat with them. They were the first blog I ever read and their little Silas is such a cutie as well!! Actually, Ethiopians are just beautiful people period!!
While there, I made the comment to Mark, that as a person just stopped and looked around at all the families and children, how wonderful it was to feel a part of the Gladney family. We had overheard they were expecting about 1000 people there yesterday. Such a wonderful feeling to have a connection to each one of those people in SOME way, even if you have no idea who they are! :)
I have to just say again though....Mary is so wonderful! She is such a pro at what she does and I know she has such a fulfilling job! Even thru some of the negativity she gets, those phone calls she makes to tell a family their baby boy or girl they've been staring at for a couple months is officially theirs.....there has got to be no words for her to explain it!

So, now that we are home, we will be celebrating Trevor's 4th birthday today. I was glad to be home so we aren't driving and singing Happy Birthday. And we'll be doing laundry to get started on the last of our packing. I have 3 suitcases packed (have for a month probably) with Addison's things, as well as the humanitarian aid we'll be taking with us. It's now down to our clothing and personal items we'll be taking. And possibly a little more H. Aid. Less than 2 weeks to pack now, and there are LOTS of things to do before then!!

2 comments:

graceling said...

EEEKKKK! Less than 2 weeks! I am so happy for you!

mama becca said...

You are very organized lady!
I have nothing actually packed yet, but it's all kind of laying in my bedroom, piled to the ceiling with H. Aid to bring... very cool!
you've inspired me though... yikes... better start working...
becca :)