Monday, July 28, 2008

I just don't get it

Why is it, that when you are planning for a vacation-no matter how short or long-something always goes wrong? It never fails for us, someone always gets sick! So far, it's 2 of us. Yesterday morning I woke up concerned about my eye--I won't go into the ucky details--but I did get eyedrops this morning to hopefully take care of it. But the other....my poor little Addison.

Yesterday morning Caleb woke her up so we could get ready for church. Mark put her at the table with some cereal. She was awfully fussy, and Mark figured it was cuz she saw the boys had egg sandwiches. Nope, not it....and her pants weren't dirty. I just assumed she was still tired, so I laid her back down. 2 1/2 hours later I went to check on her. She was just burning up...temp, 101.2. Holy cow!! So, she was constantly drinking-which was a good thing!-and rubbing her eyes, so I laid her down again. She then slept another 3-4 hours, till I went to check on her. Still didn't break the fever, it went up instead (even after Motrin) to 102 something. She was up, maybe 30 minutes, and I laid her back down.

Fast forward to this morning...she was completely out of it. NOT herself at all. She whines alot, but in a "I want what I want" type of way. This was not that kind of whine. :) It looked like it actually hurt her to make any noises. Temp, 103.3. Called the dr right away.

Got there, they took her temp and supposedly it was 99.9, or something like that. I don't think I believe that. She was STILL extremely HOT and burning up. I didn't give her anything in that hour from calling the dr till we got to the office. So, I still think their thermometer was just wrong. Anyway, nothing else wrong with her. Funny it was JUST a fever. After doing all the normal checks, they decide to prick her finger and check her bloodcount...result: fine. So then the poor girl had to go thru a catheterization. Yeah, I was just as stunned as you might be! But they wanted to check her white blood cells to be sure they were ok. They were thinking possible urinary tract infection. Result: fine. So this poor little girl went thru kinda hell this morning, with a 103 fever to find out it's just viral, nothing to give her for it, and it should pass in 3-5 days.

Again I say, Holy Cow!!!

Things have started looking up as the day has passed though. She laid down for 3 or so hours after getting home. Her fever has broke from being so high...it's now just over 100. She has still been drinking like crazy, but she has ate 3 or 4 handfuls of cheerios now too. So it's great to see her getting an appetite back.

Why does this always happen when we're ready for vacation....and a MUCH NEEDED one I might add!!?!?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

It is always something isn't it :)

I was also hoping that you might change our blog title on your blogroll. I am still trying in vain to keep our families name separate from the blog...ha

I hope that you get your sicky free vacation!!