Friday, April 18, 2008

Ethiopian Cultural Dinner & Dance

We have a little time this morning before pickup for the orphanages
today. I was thinking early, but 9:30 is when they're coming.

Last night was pretty fun! We went to an Ethiopian restaurant where
we had injera with many different sauces and meats. I have to say I
was a bit nervous about going. A couple nights ago we ordered room
service and ordered some injera for Addison. I tasted it that night
and was not too fond of the taste. It's basically like a pancake but
it's got a little bit of a tart taste….it's hard to explain. Everyone
told me though, you've got to have it with something, not plain.
It'll take away that distinct taste it has. They were right. It was
pretty good. There was a bean dip that Mark and I both really liked.
We had a chicken sauce that was spicy. I liked it, but didn't eat a
lot cuz of the spicy. It kinda hung with a person for awhile. There
was a spinach dip which was alright, but not too much of it for me.
Lamb, that was good, but watch out for the bones!  I can't think of
anything else. I've got pictures though, so you'll be able to see
that after we return home.
And the dancing was so awesome! They had a band with drums, a
harp-like instrument, a recorder-type made out of wood, and I think
there was one other guy playing something but I couldn't see what it
was from where I was sitting. They had a man and lady out throughout
the night, separate and together, singing. There were also 2 men and
2 ladies dancing throughout some of the songs. It was just awesome!
We got most of the dances on tape, but the one or two we didn't get, I
did get pictures. Travis was telling one of the guys that they were
going to come over our way to get us to do what they were…I thought he
was kidding…he wasn't! Belay was the first and it was SO fun to watch
him dance with the girl that came our way! He knew what he was doing!
Mark was next. And then I did it. A bit embarrassing when you
aren't sure what you're doing, but it was fun! Zach also danced and
it was fun to watch him. He really got into it! A little later a guy
came our way and got a friend of one of the driver's to dance and
Sharon. It seems to be a lot of head and shoulder movements, just
getting it right.

So today we are going to a little pasty shop all together for
breakfast and then we head to the orphanages. I believe Travis said
we'll be going to the older boys home first. We won't see all of them
since they will be in school, but I'm guessing there will still be a
lot of kids. And then there are 2 other orphanages we'll be going to
this afternoon.

I guess that's about all I've got for now. Since I found out the
other picture DID post, I'm going to try posting the one of Addison in
her dress from her caregiver. She's so beautiful in it! Well, she's
beautiful anyway!! 

Trevor and Caleb, mommy, daddy and Addison will be home in just a few
more days! We miss you so much! And love you so much!! We get to
see you Wednesday!

No comments: