Monday, April 14, 2008

We are in Addis

Hello everyone! Mark and I did finally make it to Addis last night,
but I have to admit it was WAY too eventful for me!!

We started in Omaha for Cincinnati. Got there and our flight was
delayed from 4:30 till 5:45. I was worried, but figured we'd wait it
out. 5:45 came and went to a new delay of 6:30. They then decided to
just cancel our flight. Of course I was beside myself and got my
crying out. Then I was just determined. Mark and I walked all over
the airport. Ended up getting a different flight to DC, with
instruction from our travel agent, but was to the other airport there
and still too late for our Ethiopian Air flight. Delta ended up
putting us up in a nice hotel and paid our taxi to get where we needed
to go.

Day 2 we started by trying to figure out what we needed to do now to
get here. Our travel agent gave us a couple options, cuz we took out
travel insurance. It was a great decision if you are ever wondering
if you should or not! Anyway, we could wait till Monday to get the
flight out on Ethiopian or we could cancel that all together and get
on a different airline. Of course that's what we did.

Everything was going well. We made it to Frankfurt Germany after 7-8
hours uneventfully. I had good feelings about yesterday before and
after that flight. I was doing well. We were getting on a bus for
them to take us to our plane for Addis and still all was well. It was
another 8-9 hours to Addis, but I was doing ok with only cap-naps here
and there. We landed in Khartoom Sudan for a refuel and a few
passengers to get off. We were told about 45 minutes and would be
back in the air. Yeah, not so much! 2 hours later, when we were to
be LANDING in Addis, we were just finally taking off. Something about
the fuel in the wings wasn't matching up in the cockpit, so they had
to check things manually.

But we arrived in Addis last night about 10ish...mind you, with NO
bags...but as we expected. Once we were here, we got our Visa and
headed to the baggage claim counter. The man there was so helpful!
He checked the slip we had from Delta and said there are comments to
send the baggage here to Addis....so I do have hopes that it WILL
arrive in the next day or two here. (I'm crossing my fingers!)

Travis and his 2 great kids were at the airport to pick us up last
night. It was nice to see a familiar face...or someone we were to be
finding. We are about to go get Addison in about an hour. I'm set
and ready to go--thankfully we had a set of clothes in our carry-on.
Mark is getting ready as I'm down posting. We have nothing for
her....diapers, formula, clothing, etc....but Travis wasn't too
concerned about that. The only thing he did say was our trip has to
be the worst they've heard of. No baggage took the cake! :-)

But we're here and all is well for now.....just pray for luggage! Post later

No comments: